Ubuntu is a free and open source Linux distro (distribution) which had its first release in 2004. It is based on Debian one of the earliest Linux operating systems, and is popular both as server and desktop. There are many distributions based on Ubuntu. It is scheduled for release every six months in April and October with LTS’s (long-term support) versions released every two years.
- Ubuntu is an open source software operating system that runs from the desktop, to the cloud, to all your internet connected things
- The world’s most popular operating system across public clouds and OpenStack clouds.
- The fastest way to go from development to production in IoT.
- The number one platform for containers
- Fast, secure and simple, Ubuntu powers millions of PCs worldwide
from Ubuntu’s home page.
Next Open Source Tuesday will feature the LibreOffice project.