VLC media player is a cross-platform free and open source software multimedia player by the non-profit VideoLAN project. It can play a wide variety of audio and video codecs and streaming sources.
VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
Simple, fast and powerful
- Plays everything – Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams.
- Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed – MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3…
- Runs on all platforms – Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix, iOS, Android …
- Completely Free – no spyware, no ads and no user tracking.
- Add skins.
- Create skins with VLC skin editor.
- Install extensions.
— from the VLC page.
Next Open Source Tuesday will feature the Bleachbit project.